Welcome to Department of Communication & Media Studies
Communication & Media Studies (CMS) department was established in early 2013 with the name of department of Journalism & Mass Communication. Later on the nomenclature is renamed as “Communication & Media Studies” by the Board of Studies. It trains students for career in the fields of communication and media related skills. The department is offering BS (Hons) 4-year programme, M.A 2-year Programme, M.Phil and Ph.D Degree Programmes in Communication & Media Studies. The courses of CMS are redesigned to provide professional education and fulfill the market requirement with the latest technology, i.e. print and electronic, public relations and advertising, online and multimedia journalism, mass media research, development communication etc. The students of CMS visit time to time different media outlets (including print and electronic media) to watch the practical activities of these organizations. The department of CMS also provided two months internship to the BS and Master students, where they learn the practical knowledge regarding media production and media consumption.
- To produce graduates with knowledge in Communication & Media Studies, preparing them to be leaders in media and communication careers.
- To expose students to digital editing technologies designed to help storytellers be more precise in reporting and editing across all media platforms.
- To let the graduates have a comprehensive understanding of mass media concepts, theories and professional practices.
- To equip the students with the necessary skills to effectively and efficiently collect and evaluate information utilizing traditional methods and new technologies.
- To enable the students to carefully observe, interpret and accurately portray events, information, and activities to a diverse society.
- To produce graduates who can shape messages to reflect the differing demands and strengths of different and developing media.
- To polish the critical analysis ability of students and thus enabling them to examine the role and effects of media in contemporary society.
- To produce graduates having in-depth knowledge and aptitude to peruse a successful Journalism career.